Micheál and the interventions

imgresimages

So. Would you say Micheál Martin is a fit leader for Fianna Fáil?  Given the abyss of debt into which the party has plunged the Irish people, it’s tempting to say Sideshow Bob would be a fit leader for that party. But the Corkman is  currently exercising his leadership skills in an attempt to protect party colleagues.  Niall Collins their justice spokesman (no relation – I said NO RELATION) is under pressure since it was revealed he’d  pleaded for leniency on behalf of a drug dealer. Then on Saturday it emerged that Agriculture spokesperson Éamon Ó Cuív has made representations on behalf of a number of criminals, including  Edward Griffin, who was jailed for eight years in 2009 for the manslaughter of criminal associate Patrick McCormack and who now wants moved to another prison. Collins has said he stepped in for the sake of the drug dealer’s four young children. Ó CuÍv hasn’t  said if that’s why he intervened, or even if Edward Griffen has children  young or otherwise. But one way and another, the interventions by top Fianna Fáil men leave a nasty metallic taste in the mouth. Clearly aware of this, Micheál has been beating the undergrowth in search of an alternative hare to set running and he thinks he’s found one.

“I would say that, not so long ago, and I’m not casting aspersions on anyone. But you had senior Sinn Fein figures phoning up the British Prime Minister over the arrest of Gerry Adams in connection with the Jean McConville murder. Martin McGuinness, for instance, threatened to withdraw the party’s support for policing. Nobody cried boo about that. Niall Collins’s situation is light years away”.

Well you’re right about the last bit, Micheál – the Collins intervention is light years away.  Collins is the justice spokesperson and he was intervening on behalf of a convicted drug dealer. Sinn Féin people, including Martin McGuinness, were intervening on behalf of Gerry Adams, who has been convicted of no crime. Mr Collins’s drug-dealer was not, as far as I know, leading a political party into major elections at local and European level. Mr Adams was. Mr Collins allegedly attempted to alter the conviction handed down by the courts. Sinn Féin people intervened in an attempt to stop those apparently attempting to influence the outcome of an election. “Nobody said boo” to Sinn Féin efforts to have their party leader freed?  I think you’ll find, Micheál, that there were loads of people with their boos in fine vocal form at the time.

What this comes down to is only partially a matter of Micheál attempting to rescue his floundering colleagues. It’s also a matter of Micheál grabbing a chance to raise once again the Jean McConville case. Was there ever a victim of the Troubles whose death has been used more cynically by more people for their own political ends? The idea is to keep alive  in the minds of the southern electorate a link between the death of the mother of ten and Gerry Adams. Sorry, Micheál. When the Sinn Féin president’s arrest followed by three or was it four days of constant questioning couldn’t produce a link, maybe it’s time you packed it in. If the results of the last elections in the south suggest anything, they suggest the electorate there have finally begun to see through the fog of fake compassion for Mrs McConville’s cruel death. Check out those election results, Micheál. Time to move on. Or if you can’t, maybe let Sideshow Bob take the party reins.

15 Responses to Micheál and the interventions

1. al June 23, 2014 at 9:04 am #

Don’t forget the bould Willie O’Dea, another Limerick FF TD.

“DEFENCE Minister Willie O’Dea facilitated almost 30 representations seeking special treatment for prisoners including a rapist, a murder suspect and a number of drug dealers.”

2. neill June 23, 2014 at 9:50 am #

“OTRS” Jude

• paddykool June 23, 2014 at 10:37 am #

Neill : What are you saying here Neill?. you mean the British Government is still in the dock over those OTRuns letters? Just after being reminded what happened to what they did to Gerry Conlon. I’ve said it before , why is anyone surprised about any of this? A bigger question is , how did the DUP not expect a wee backroom deal, if they knew anything about their sponsors at all.? …A man on a galloping horse could see it coming but not our visionary politicians?

Anyway …as Jude says , it’s all snow melting off a ditch .What’s left is the cynicism that Jean McConville’s murder has stirred up and how , forgotten {along with hundreds of others} her corpse and theirs is being wheeled out and laid out for political traction. ….They’re trying to make those greasy wheels get some grip on the bare corpses. Paxman was right…politicians are a reptilian breed, apart.
      It’s all beginning to look like “the Sopranos”.

• neill June 23, 2014 at 11:30 am #

Yes I am however with the parties and the government we have the concept of the end justifies the means seems to be the guiding principle which reflects badly on all of us.

3. William Fay June 23, 2014 at 11:20 am #

Jude, I don’t know if you’re the official or unofficial spokesman for Sinn Fein, but you are doing a very good job of it. Virtually every story is twisted to suit your narrative, whether it is sport, politics, current affairs or whatever. Sinn Fein were up to their neck in terrorism and criminality, accept that or not, I don’t really care. Gerry Adams was the leader of a terrorist group, accept that also if you wish, although I doubt it. He was arrested legitimately to be questioned about previous offences, “questioned constantly for three or four days”, maybe you should add the allegation that he was limited to eight hours sleep per night and fed food that tasted rather bland. I know he was never convicted of an offence, neither was Osama bin Laden, I suppose that makes him innocent too. I expected something more from this blog, not the constant Sinn Fein flag waving, Brit bashing that I’m reading every day, maybe it’s time for me to move on to a more middle of the road site.

• Antonio June 24, 2014 at 5:50 am #

Yes William away on to some blog run by an Alliance party or even a stoop supporter where you can read ‘one side is as bad as the other’ over and over again ad naseum on every single issue. that’d be good for you

• William Fay June 24, 2014 at 6:43 am #

When you kick a pig you usually get a grunt Antonio, maybe even got a squeal out of you this time, it really would suit you if I left here and you could cosy up yo your republican chums and tell each other how great you all are, delusion dominates once more.

4. Jude Collins June 23, 2014 at 2:06 pm #

William – in response to your last sentence I’m tempted to say “Oh – would you? Please?” But that would be neither polite nor true.I welcome voices which speak against the mainstream (mixed metaphor there) so I always make a point of reading yours (when I’ve time).
    Now. I am NOT a spokesman for Sinn Féin. I happen to think they’re the only truly nationalist party on this island and that matches my thinking. GA leader of a ‘terrorist group’? First, I’d debate your use of ‘terrorist’ – terrorist is one who sets out to terrorise the civilian population. Good examples of this would be the (by and large although not totally) loyalist paramilitaries. And of course Hiroshima and Nagasaki are classical cases of terrorism. The IRA in a number of well-documented instances were guilty of terrorist acts, but in the main their targets were people involved in the ‘security’ forces. Because they didn’t wear a uniform or leap out of trenches doesn’t mean they were terrorists. In any case, I’m happy to settle for the more neutral ‘paramilitaries’ for both them and the loyalists. Did Gerry lead them? I don’t know. I do know that he has always been totally unambiguous in his support for the IRA while denying he was a member of the IRA. Yes, yes, I know – everybody knows, dogs in the street, etc. – but actually not everybody knows; and even if he were in the IRA, I think it’s near hairsplitting to talk about someone who’s totally supportive of a paramilitary group and someone who’s a member. He was ‘arrested legitimately’ – true. But the timing of the arrest was I am convinced intended to shape the outcome of the election in the south. I think anyone who doesn’t see that is wearing blinkers/using rose-tinted specs. He got eight hours sleep and the grub was bland – I think he said it was inedible. Anyway, the point is, during his waking hours he seems to have been constantly questioned. If I described that in some other way that misled, my apologies. My intention was to emphasis the unremitting nature of the interrogation. You say ‘He was never convicted of an offence, neither was Osama bin Laden’. In other words, he wasn’t convicted but of course he was guilty. Mmmm. Let me think how that fits into the system of justice that talks about innocent until proven guilty…I give up. Must be missing something there. Would never convicted, neither was, um, William Fay be an equally valid statement? It would (I assume), except you wanted to have him guilty even though nothing was proved against him.
    ‘I expected something more from this blog’ – Ah , William. You take me back to my days in St Columb’s when teachers used to look from my exercise book to me and back again, and say more in sorrow than anger ‘I expected more from you, Collins’. You make me feel so young, as the song says. ‘Sinn Féin flag waving’? If Sinn Féin adopts policies that in general I agree with, I’m certainly going to say so. Flag-waving suggests mindless support. I’d like to think there’s a bit of my brain still functioning. Incidentally, I’m trying to think of an occasion when you said something positive about Sinn Féin – would that make you a unionist flag-waver? Or an anti-republican flag waver? I hope not.
    Anyway – see how important your presence is, William? It’s got me examining all sorts of issues and bashing computer keys when I should be doing something more valuable. I’ll come back to my initial statement – I’m glad you read my blogs and gladder that you give the rest of us your thinking. It’s not always easy swimming the opposite direction from most (‘Fargo’ reference there), and I admire you for that.

• RJC June 25, 2014 at 3:21 am #

Great stuff, Mr Collins.

5. michael c June 23, 2014 at 3:09 pm #

Mr Martin is a Cork FF TD. One of his predecessors who held a seat right up to the 1970’s was a man called Martin Corry who had his own private graveyard on his farm .Literally scores of people were killed and disappeared there during the tan war,their relatives never knowing what had happened to them.Corry actually boasted about this in taped interviews before his death.I would like to hear Mehole Martin asked about the activities of his party colleague Corry but I won’t hold my breath!

6. Argenta June 23, 2014 at 4:33 pm #

If memory serves me right,were representations not made by senior Sinn Fein public figures on behalf of those who killed Garda Gerry Mc Cabe?They were convicted of Manslaughter ,the original Murder charge having been dropped through witness intimidation.I would doubt if Sinn Fein are whiter than white in this particular area!

7. antain de Brún June 24, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

There is a need to stand back and look at the damage caused by alcohol and other drugs throughout the country. There is considerable evidence of fatal and other shootings in the Republic of Ireland associated with the trade in drugs. Do we hear strident voices raised on a daily basis about such issues? One has to question why a T.D. would involve himself on “compassionate grounds” on behalf of any individual who is involved with drugs. These are criminal matters. It is evident that the T.D. and his leader did not think this issue through. What legal precedent was the T.D. trying to establish by his intervention? The welfare of the child/children is and must remain the priority in matters of this nature. Anyone involved in any aspect of procuring and selling drugs does not consider and does not care about the welfare of any child. T.D.s should know better.

8. Perkin Warbeck June 24, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

Is GA short for Gerry Adams and if so, is GA also short for GAA.? It figures, as both GA and the GAA are two of the great punching bags for the Southern Media.of the Land of Ire. Most useful gym equipment for keeping fit and alive, or even the memory of Lord Fitt alive.

Take the last couple of days for example.

First up, the GAA go and spoil the Great RTE love in with Brasil 2014 by producing a stickfighting game of scintillating skill in Tullamore with a not uninteresting climax. And thus showing up the Bootyful Game up for many of its hollow pretensions. They did the same back in 1991 when the Media Establishment was STILL wetting itself after the, er, Hibernian heroics of Italia 90 with an epic four-part mini series involving Meath and Dublin in the Croke Park Paddock. So inconsiderate of the demmed bogballers.

Then, there was the resident rotweiller of Morning Ireland the other morning. I speak of Cathal Mac Coille. Try as hard as he could he failed (miserably) to land a rabid fang on the flanks of GA. You always know Cathal Mac Coille is taking a pasting from GA when he begins to snort, very slowly, very quietly, through flared nostrils: Mis-ter A-dams, (gradually speeding up) if you will please answer my question. !

Before, of course, collapsing in exasperation for the weather forecast.

Incidentally, one wonders just how good the Great Inquisitioner (Cathal Mac Coille , for it is he) is at answering questions himself?

Here’s one, for starters. When he first burst on the broadcasting scene he was known as…Cathal Mac Giolla Coille. But somewhere along the line, the Giolla was dropped.

Wonder why?

Perhaps it had served its purpose and just as some folk’s chewing gum in known to lose its flavour on the b.p. overnight, so also, the adhesive quality of other folks’ middle name tends to outlive its, erm, Stickiness. Who knows?

Methinks he would still make a wonderful giolla or ghillie (in the Ulster Scots). Taking out Lord Fitt for Purpose, or even Lady Snott herself for an afternoon’s fly fishing on Lake Woebegone.

• William Fay June 24, 2014 at 10:22 pm #

What a load of self pity, hard done by drool

• RJC June 25, 2014 at 3:38 am #

Interesting thoughts there on the GAA, Mr Warbeck. Perhaps not so much the political elite, but the media establishment in the 26 Counties is very much a D4/D6/D18 old boys (and girls) club. The GAA means nothing to these people. They didn’t grow up with it and they spent their schooldays playing rugby, cricket, tennis, hockey and golf with one another so rarely came into contact with it.

Beyond the Pale though, the GAA has, and continues to have an enormous benefit to the people of Ireland. The engendering of community cohesion that the GAA has propagated is second to none on a global scale. I’m not sure that people fully appreciate this. I won’t waffle on about the superior skill, strength and athleticism of hurlers in relation to their Premier League ‘counterparts’ as that’s something of which the, eh dogs on the street are already fully aware. And the hurlers are back in work on a Monday morning.

If one wishes to be a dewy eyed Nationalist about it, the GAA are the only organisation who never forgot about their countrymen North of the Border. If only the same could be said for the political and media establishment down South.