Newry and Mourne and being balanced

imgres

There’s trouble, no, not at t’mill but at Newry and Mourne Council today. Noel Thompson had the two sides on Good Morning Six Counties Ulster  earlier today. It seems that the Newry and Mourne mayor Dáire Hughes of Sinn Féin has written to local shopkeepers, asking if they stocked Israeli goods and if so, could they provide customers with an alternative product. Mayor Hughes said this was in response to lots of people approaching him and expressing concern about what is happening in Gaza. Noel told him that the letter was on headed Newry and Mourne Council notepaper and wrongly led people to believe it was from the council. Mayor Hughes suggested this was unlikely, since his name was also in the heading and he’d signed the letter.

Enter Councillor Henry Reilly (UKIP), who considered the letter outrageous. Why wasn’t Mayor Hughes telling people about the thousands of Hamas rockets fired into Israel and what about what was happening in the Ukraine?  What this was, was anti-Semitic.

I suppose the Mayor could send letters about the Ukraine but one thing at a time maybe: the most obvious topic of the moment is the horror of Gaza. As to the suggestion that the letter was intimidating, I wonder how that would work. Do the local shopkeepers  want to stock Israeli goods and support that state? Noel seemed a bit critical that this letter appeared to be organising a boycott of Israeli goods; Mayor Hughes openly conceded that such was the ultimate objective. Again, the dog that didn’t bark was the question: “Who would want to stock Israeli goods?”

If we were a society with even half an eye, we’d see that the wrong-doer is not the boycott organiser but the person who calls such a move “anti-Semitic”, as did Councillor Reilly. There are a considerable number of Jews throughout the world who are horrified by what Israeli state forces are currently doing. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we woke up some day and had Noel and team grilling those people who are in favour of Israeli goods and in favour of Israeli actions in the Middle East? But hey, don’t forget – Noel was critical of the UKIP man too. It’s how the BBC stays balanced.

80 Responses to Newry and Mourne and being balanced

1. Micheal July 28, 2014 at 10:38 am #

A nice little ditty Jude. The whole problem here in the North is the fact that we are always drawn to take sides. You always find the Shinners taking the side of the oppressed and down trodden because above all, its in their party policy to stand by those who want freedom from oppression etc etc. As for the Unionists, lets be honest that’s what UKIP are, they are doing the usual and taking the side of the Israelis because themotheruns are siding with the Palestinians. It could be seen as the triumphalist mindset we have witnessed so much of but to be honest I can’t bring myself to think this wholeheartedly as I know they’re taking the opposite stance just to continue the age old agenda of supporting the more superior side.

I don’t see the big problem with Mayor Hughes sending this letter to the store. Many people have been doing it, myself being one of those and I make no apologies for doing so. The only reason UKIP got involved was due to the fact that Sinn Fein’s name appeared and they felt the passionate longing to stand up for the Loyalist people of Ulster…..oh and of course Israel. Although when you work for a party called the United Kingdom Independent Party you don’t show very much independent thought by following the herd and sanctioning a slaughter that of which few people have seen in a lifetime, the equivalent of which was that of the Nazi race against the Jews. After all, he can go to bed tonight and sleep soundly knowing his fine words will somehow save a life a young life from being mercilessly snuffed out for no other reason than that of sheer blood lust.

2. Mary Nelis July 28, 2014 at 11:09 am #

I have been boycotting Israeli products for years, especially potatoes masquerading as Wilsons, Co Antrim but grown in Israel.

• Pointis July 28, 2014 at 1:03 pm #

That is good to know Mary. Thanks.

• Norma wilson July 28, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

Mary
      Hope you are aware, that the Israelis are responsible for Facebook.
      I bet you are just an old Primark/Lidl shopper who buys a load of cheap inferior rubbish anyhow.
      Stick with quality buy Israel.
      Nirma

• maryjo July 28, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

Norma, I am so disappointed to discover that you are a snob – a consumer snob, the worst kind – someone who values folk on how much money they can afford to spend on their food and clothing. I’m proud to say I food shop at Lidl and don’t buy clothes at all because the accursed Irish government plundered my pension when the economy crashed. I shop in charity shops whenever I can afford to. Never mind Hamas. Some days I’m so skint I would gladly volunteer to wear a suicide vest into Dail Eireann. You can join me, if you like and I will forgive your Lidl comments.

• Norma Wilson July 28, 2014 at 7:57 pm #

Oh Mary Jo
          I am sorry, you have humbled me.
          Sorry, I just go berserk when people try to persecute the Jews

• Am Ghobsmacht July 29, 2014 at 12:49 am #

Norma

You’ve missed the point:

This is about boycotting Israel NOT Jews.

And not all Jews support Israel’s actions: http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/gaza-2014-london-protest-oscar-webb-boycott-westminster-141

Look at the fifth picture, they are Hassidic Jews opposed to what is going on.

It’s very irresponsible to say that it is an ‘anti-Jewish stance’ as this then labels all Jews as pro-Israeli-stance which in turn makes them targets in the minds of some:

As for the facebook reference, Mark Zuckerberg is an American of Jewish upbringing but an atheist.

Hence a ‘Jew’ but not an Israeli.

• maryjo July 29, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

I knew you were better than the things you said, Norma. So glad to hear you confirm it. 😉

• Paddy everton July 28, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

Norma if you weren’t posting, someone would have to invent you. It is refreshing to have the comments above to reassure me that it is right to call for a boycott.

• Pointis July 28, 2014 at 5:21 pm #

Mary I checked the Wilson’s baby potatoes in our local Spar today and it said on the packet – origin UK. Perhaps the origin changes at different times of the year. It would be important to check the origin as it would be unfair to boycott a company. Any boycott should be restricted to the product.

• maryjo July 28, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

“Wilson’s” from Israel? Time to get a boycott going at my local Supervalue, starting with finding out how my local retailer gets away with labelling foreign spuds as N. Irish. Anyone got any useful links to inform me on this?

• Norma Wilson July 28, 2014 at 8:52 pm #

Mary Jo

Wilson, is my married name, my maiden name is a strong Scottish name I have told you all long ago, we have are own motto, tartan etc etc, we have banks with my maiden name, and even castles?
        My family came here 400 years ago, when it was just an uncivilised backward place, full of vulgar uncouth people.
        Yes, I have much in common with the Israelis, and the Afrikaners, the common denominator is we arrive to nothing, and make great cities countries etc etc.
        Arabs live in little tents ride on camels, Blacks live in little huts, and don’t really ride anything??? Then we have the Irish….. Yes the Irish were to start, I will have a long think on that and get back to you.
        Norma

• RJC July 31, 2014 at 5:05 pm #

Difficult to know where to start with that one Norma, so it might be best just to let that comment lie there, hanging in the digital ether.

Sadly there still appears to be quite a few vulgar and uncouth people living in Ireland.

• Dickens July 28, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

Maryjo

Check out BDS (Boycott Divestment & Sanctions) website here-

War on Want have very interesting report on the website here-

Times they are a changing

Grma/regards

D

3. neill July 28, 2014 at 11:50 am #

Fair enough boycott all you wish however if you fall sick or need medical treatment I hope you wont be using any products from Israel to get better as Israel is a market leader in the medical arena

• Pointis July 28, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

Quite ironic, killing and curing!

• Francis D July 28, 2014 at 1:28 pm #

Also a Market leader in the Massacre of Civilians.

4. Pointis July 28, 2014 at 11:52 am #

http://loyalistsagainstdemocracy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/twitter-is-window-on-brain-ummm.html?spref=tw. Like the Protestant Coalition, a bit of a laughing stock but it doesn’t stop the media looking for interviews.

I haven’t seen the letter to retailers but by reading your piece it would appear that the Mayor has not asked them to boycott Israeli goods but only to ensure that there are alternative goods to choose from. That sounds like the fundamentals of the free market economy, it’s called ‘competition’ and fiercely championed by the Conservative government.

I would applaud the Mayor in his endeavours as I attended a peace vigil for Palestine organised by mothers in the area on behalf of the people of Gaza, and at which he spoke passionately about his experiences of visiting the occupied territories.

Personally I favour an all out boycott of Israeli goods and divestment as advocated by the Jewish group “Jewish voice for peace” and which was once successfully carried out by Dunnes workers in Dublin.

5. Pointis July 28, 2014 at 11:58 am #

If you google Henry you can see some of the outlandish things he has come out with on YouTube. Like the Protestant Coalition he has let himself become a bit of a laughing stock and not Just in the Newry and Mourne area!

I would applaud the Mayor in his endeavours as I attended a vigil for Palestine organised by mothers in the area on behalf of the people of Gaza, and which he spoke passionately about his experiences of visiting the occupied territories.

6. Pointis July 28, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

Sorry the same type of comment went up twice a computer blip!

7. Freddy Mallins July 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm #

Pointis, I absolutely fell off my chair laughing at that description of Henry’s incoherent ramblings; “stereophonic PCM digital algorithmic encryption program”!! First class.

• pointis July 28, 2014 at 2:41 pm #

Freddy he has left plenty of material from which to work from!

8. Norma wilson July 28, 2014 at 1:34 pm #

I shall be checking if any of my merchandise is from Ireland, and it will not be purchased. Norma

9. Norma wilson July 28, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

Let’s have a look, yeah Brennan’s bread, and kerrygold butter, I shall be scrutinising everything from now on, anything from the south, is definitely not in this house, and I shall spread the word.
    Anti. ROI pro ISRAEL.

Proud to stand with the only TRUE religion in this world.

Norma

• Jude Collins July 28, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

But you’re from Ireland too, Norma – will you let yourself into the house? And what about Ulster Fries – not to mention dulce and yellow man – are they verboten too? Ach Norma – I like you better when you’re human.Be human…

• pointis July 28, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

Spreading the word but not the butter! Listen up those who do not savour a squeeze of the dingle berries!

• Ceannaire July 28, 2014 at 2:41 pm #

And, Norma, there’s me thinking you were a Protestant all along.

• Micheal July 28, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

Sorry but you’re hilarious Norma!

10. Perkin Warbeck July 28, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

As one who has always taken a more than keen interest in matters to the do with Newry and Mourne, one was pleased to read that the even-handed presenter of Good Morning Ulster Fry (if you had an Albert to that, you could sing it) was as impartial as ever with the rattle of his Thompson sub-machine gun-like verbal questioning.

Perhaps this interest was born of an accident of birth: the Warbeckian roots go back to the very d. of history or at least to the terminus of the 23 Bus in the Highest Parish in Ireland. This is the Dublin barrio which (modestly) boasts roads with the names of mountains, including some from the Six Counties, though not necessarily six in number- from Mourne Road, to Sperrin, to Donard to Ben Madigan itself.

It is with some surprise therefore that one reads of a suggestion of Anti-Semitism in the County of Down. Certainly back in the Sixties the Black and Red were almost fanatically pro-Samitic, in the manner in which they won the All-Ireland Cup, named after/for Sam Maguire. It could be that there is a growing Anti-Samitism to judge by the poor results of recent years. But, Anti-Samitism is not to be confused with Anti-Semitism, though the confusion is quite understandable. In fact, it is not at all an ignoble condition, as the man said.

Btw, this confusion might be down to the Leprechaun for the Mournes: Na Beanna Bhurka.

Mind you, one wouldn’t be the first Liffeysider to be fascinated by the Black and Red . When Brendan Behan landed in New York in the early 60s for the Broadway production of the Quare Fellow he was seen to be wearing a ginormous rosette with the two words emblazoned upon it: ‘Up Down’. This was interpreted by one naive observer as the Irish dramatist’s take on the mercurial nature of human existence. The observer guilty of this solecism was an academic. And academic observers, not least those in dicky bows and leather patches on the elbows of their tweed jackets, are never guilty of mistakes, only solecisms. It is important to keep that in mind.

Of course it is not who only those, like the Liffeysiders, who look up and are fascinated by Down. There are those like Lord Fitt for Purpose who looked down to Down when he was looking for a topographical reference to go with his Top Hat and Tails: hence, Baron of Bell’s Hill.

It was the sheer corgi-like presistence of the dogged Wee Gerry F (as he then was) for whenever he found himself in London (often) he always made a point of of Calling In:

‘I was over in London quite lately
    I gave Queen Eliz a call;
    Says the butler: ‘She’s out, she isn’t about
    And I don’t see her hat in the hall’

It was this very tenacity allied to a shared interest in the gee-gees that eventually won the title for Wee G. As the majestic Mrs. Windsor said on the occasion: ‘When the now Lord Fitt enters the portals of St. Paul’s Cathedral it immediately takes on the ambience of a Ladbroke’s’.

Mind you, it was another verse from Percy French which prompted P. Warbeck to put his hat in the ring, as it were:
    ‘I’ve seen England’s queen from the top of a bus
    Though I’ve never known her, she means to know us;
    And though by the Saxons we once were oppressed
    Still I cheered -God forgive me- I cheered with the rest’

God forgive me too for not forbearing to throw up one’s sweaty nightcap when Lord Fitt chose Bell’s Hill in the uplands of Down as his topographical top hat, as it were, for in truth one had already earmarked another peak for his peak cap, so to speak. Alright, a hint: it is a four letter peak and it begins with M.

Another person – from the East this time – equally enraptured by the uplands of Down is one, Benjamin Netanyahu whose genealogist claims he is descended from the Yahus of Newry in the ancient times when it still rhymed with Jewry. (Memo to oneself:must get one’s ferreter of arcane info to look into that, one Eunan the Trade Unionist, he of the O’Halpin Hand).

Another Eastern note was introduced today by none other that another Prime Minister, one Enda Kenny of the Free Southern State when, asked to comment upon the latest defensive tactics of Israel, responded: ‘A thousand deaths in Gaza are not satisfactory’.

So in your face, so outspoken, so redolent of the day when Lord Louis Mountbatten (see under niece above) was so cruelly torpedoed: ‘The death of L.L.M. is not satisfactory’.

That heinous outrage, though it happened in the North West, was redolent of the Eastern poem penned by T.S. Eliot: ‘The Journey of the Magi’, the first line of which reads ‘A cold coming we had of it’ while the last line concludes: ‘It was, you might say, not satisfactory’.

At least that’s how Lord Muck remembers it, oops, Lord Muck-to-be.

• Jude Collins July 28, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

Perkin – or can I call you Perky? – you surpass yourself. Those verses you quote – superb. But – although it’s probably deliberate on your part – the J of the M ends (not with a bang but a whimper) – no, it ends ‘It was, you may say, satisfactory’. No not or knot. God wot. Or “God ! WHAT???!!!’ as half of Ireland said they heard G Fitt – he of the Miss Fitts – daughters, y’know – had been elevated. My mother’s response to his name was curt and to the point: “Fitt? That oul’ turn-coat’. Out of the mouths of babes and mothers…

• Ceannaire July 28, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Benjamin Yet Another Yahu from Newry? Surely his name would be Yahoo then?

Leoga, An Dún abú.

11. Norma wilson July 28, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

Jude/ judas

I am deadly serious, please do not jest with me. If I was ever put in a position were I had to choose, I kid you not, there is only one choice I would make! Israel over Ireland I would not even require a moment to think about it.
    I cannot believe how stupid you all are, and hypocrites as well!
    They shot 8 IRA in Loughall, your brave soldier, who fought and died for the cause.
    Twenty years later, you all are still screaming like little pigs, yet you do not allow Israel to protect herself from these murdering Hamas.
    Well maybe when I think about it, you do have a lot in common.
    I shall be buying only British, I have nothing in common with you lot, my mind goes back to the Faulklands, when Ireland voted against Britain, and even further back when you’s where with the nazis.
    No when the day of reckoning comes, and it will, I know were my allegiance, and loyalty lies.
    As I have said many times these wheels are still turning, ???
    Pro Israeli and very very proud.

• Jude Collins July 28, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

Norma, Norma – I can’t tell you how saddening your comment is.

12. Norma wilson July 28, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

I cannot wait until you are all being awakened with the calling to prayer, please build it right smack bang in the middle of A’ town
    Norma

• JimmyRiddle July 28, 2014 at 9:03 pm #

Norma you sound like the perfect Israeli supporter choked with bitterness and hate.
      Incidentally you’ll find the Brit royal family are not only German but riddled with nazis….look it up.

• Am Ghobsmacht July 29, 2014 at 12:54 am #

Indeed RJC

Israel established itself on the back of sending home British soldiers in body bags:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_insurgency_in_Palestine

They can’t applaud one group and take such a dim view of another who do the same thing.

It’s of course easier for me to say as someone who takes a dim view of both.

13. William Fay July 28, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

“the Newry and Mourne mayor Dáire Hughes of Sinn Féin has written to local shopkeepers, asking if they stocked Israeli goods and if so, could they provide customers with an alternative product.” So if this isn’t pressure and intimidation from the council, then Mr Hughes needs to explain himself, in what capacity is he writing this letter, as an individual who happens to be Mayor, as a member of Sinn Fein, or as a council directive. If a business owner responds in a negative fashion, ie. advises Mr Hughes to mind his own business, will they receive a visit from the Sinn Fein persuaders, and get leaned on, or will they receive negative publicity until they ‘play ball.’
    After all Sinn Fein have good experience in this line of work, the boycotts of the 20s and 30s on NI goods, the intimidation and boycott of the minority population in the South since partition, and the same tactics on rural Protestant owned businesses in recent years.
    The hypocrisy of Sinn Fein is incredible, but I cannot be surprised, the PLO, Fatah and Hamas have been their bedfellows for a long time now. As has been previously pointed out, there are many, many other hotspots in the world, but the Shinners do not see any political viability in supporting other causes, as the saying goes, please ‘do one” Mr Hughes.

• Jude Collins July 28, 2014 at 4:32 pm #

William, that’s the kind of negative tirade that leaves people fuming at each other. Ask yourself this question: do you believe sympathy for the Palestinians in Gaza is manufactured or real? If you say it’s real – how could you not? – would you not want to campaign to do something, however small, that might express your antipathy to that? All the stuff about what the IRA did or whether the south has boycotted northern goods – it’s beside the point. Children,women and innocent men are being slaughtered deliberately in Gaza. In view of that, I commend the mayor for encouraging anyone to give Israeli goods a bye. I’ll be doing the same myself – and not because of some fantasy about Shinner heavies coming round if I don’t. The world is changed, William. Try to make it change for the better.

• William Fay July 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

Response I expected Jude, thanks all the same, there is absolutely no sympathy for the Israelis whatsoever. I spent some of my time in Israel visiting families, and being amazed by their ‘normal lives’, their actions on the air raid warnings, etc. The only way to bring this to an end is to wipe out Hamas, or at least make them ineffective, and this will cost lives on both sides. Hard decisions are going to have to be made, otherwise this present situation is going to happen again and again.

• Jude Collins July 29, 2014 at 7:33 am #

Well yes, sweet William, you’ll get total peace if you kill off one side. The question is the morality of constantly bombing civilians, resulting in hundreds of deaths. Israel is almost totally secure from Hamas rockets, thanks to US defence systems. I’m afraid this is a straight one, William – and yes, they usually aren’t. Either you believe it’s OK to slaughter civilians in pursuit of a political goal or you don’t.

• Pointis July 29, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

“The only way to bring this to an end is to wipe out Hamas…” That is just the sort of thing
          Jürgen Stroop would probably have come out with before he put down the ZOB Jewish uprising in the Warsaw Ghetto by murdering the population within.

Any reasonable observer of history would know that when you persecute injustice upon a people you will not kill the spirit of resistance to that injustice by killing a section of their community. You will only exacerbate and prolong the situation.

Few would agree with Hamas but fewer still would agree that the Israeli treatment of the Palestinian people is just or ethical!

• JimmyRiddle July 28, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

“Sinn Fein persuaders, and get leaned on,”

Now your just descending into silliness.
      A boycott of Israeli products is the LEAST we can do as human beings.

14. Perkin Warbeck July 28, 2014 at 4:33 pm #

Jude, a mhaistir, one defers as always to one’s tutor in matters literary. Mea culpa. My mistake.

One must have morphed from being an attentive student into a minion of Morpheus the day you broached that particular poem of TS Eliot in the hallowed groves of an Iveagh League.college on Liffeyside.

Nothing at all to do with your own anti-flotsam, feisty, and if one might say so, Fenian style of lecturing but all to do with the choice of poet.

T.S. Eliot.

In ones’s self defence, one was hypnotised by the very name, the very initials of the poet: TSE. TSE.. TSE, tse….tse….tse….tse….zzzzzzzzzz.

When one eventually woke up – to an empty lecture hall – apart from the Porter (all Iveagh Leagues Colleges came thus equipped) shaking one’s shoulder in one hand and his bouquet of keys in the other, being a posh college – one came to the inclusion that the reason one had fallen asleep was the seamless transition of T.S. Eliot from being a banker to becoming a hanker after literature. At the time, one thought his poetry had all the elan of a spreadsheet.

Indeed, it wasn’t till many years, tears and dubious auctioneers later that one discovered the actual reason for having nodded off in a Homeric manner during the course of Esteemed Blogmeister-to-be’s lecture. The reason, you might say, was (again). zoological.

That happened when one chanced upon the fact that ‘sleeping sickness’ is caused by a bite from the Middle Eastern insect known as the tsetse fly. Yes a tsetse fly. Tsetse. TSETSE. TSE. TS Eliot.

Thus, Esteemed Blogmesiter to be but then Lecturer, you are exonerated.

One discovered this fact while perusing the Collected Works of the eminent zoologist, Professor Emeritus John Z. Murphy, D.Litt. Not, under any circumstances, to be confused with his near,namesake on Leeside. The middle initial Z stands for Zachary.

For this particular Prof Em – sadly no longer with us – pursued his academic career, not in the People’s Republic of Cork but rather on the banks of the Yangtze River where, while the surname Lee abounds, is not known to rhyme with Langtse.

Indeed, as his Chinese colleagues were heard to say on the occasion of his sad passing: ‘Plofessor Emelitus John Z. Murphy, D. Ritt was dirigent plofessor, Zachary the opposite of other arredged plofessors who spend time tlowing down gauntret in pages of Unionst Times on Riffeyside. Hah.’

But, to end of a Down stroke.

One forgot to mention that not only was there a Benjamin on the Bit of Red and Black in recent, unsuccessful times – indeed the one star of a cloudy Down team – but that PM Benjamin Netanyahu actually wanted his party to be called: SDLP., in a nod in the direction of the once all powerful party with the Sweet Brown Knowe How where the M. of M. slope down to the C on their way to Stooping to the C.. And who looked from Mayobridge to Mayo, to Enda to end their misery.

The Self Defence L.P.

Alas, for reasons best known to his opponents within his Israeli cabinet, it was turned down. A true mystery.

After all, what’s not to Likud about that choice of name?

• Jude Collins July 28, 2014 at 5:09 pm #

As somebody said, Perky, you are intoxicated – and intoxicating – with the exuberance of your own verbosity….Brilliant. Myles must be gritting his teeth in his grave…

15. paddykool July 28, 2014 at 4:48 pm #

Jeez. never mind Perky , Jude what the hell has gotten into Norma this summer .? Norma what are you on at the moment that has you so upset with the world? Don’t be going off cutting off your nose to spite your face. If you eat nothing produced in Ireland all our wee milkmen and bakers will be closing up shop. Now calm down until this whole thing is talked out .There are enough eegits running about hating this and hating that every July in this place .It all calms back down just before the schools go back , so hold firm. We have to laugh at the craziest buggers.
    Now we somehow have to stop all these wee children getting killed . There’s about a thousand deaths at the moment and counting and another generation of Palestinians and Israeli children being filled right up with hatred .All that will happen is a lot more people will be poisoned and /or dead. It all sounds a bit familiar doesn’t it? Here we are and even with our own conflict over …done and dusted…. and the hatred still simmers on . Parents filling another generation of blank pages with hatred . As if that’s going to improve anyone’s life . The world has to step up and say NO in as many ways as it can..I’ve just heard that”war takes away the building blocks of childhood”…That was from Syria.Look at how many childhoods are being brutalised here and in Syria and in Gaza .

• Pointis July 28, 2014 at 5:24 pm #

Somebody has stirred up a dingle berries nest!

• dedeideoprofundis July 28, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

It’s July, stupid

16. paddykool July 28, 2014 at 5:21 pm #

Focus on the fact and not the fantasy and fear.

17. Argenta July 28, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

Is there not a convention that the Mayor of a city/town represents all of the electorate, not just a section of it?Can we expect that businesses in other areas dominated by Sinn Fein will receive similar letters?

• Jude Collins July 28, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

I have no idea. But as with the Belfast mayor’s initiative at Dunville and Woodvale, I commend him.

18. Iolar July 28, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

If you wish to see how war takes away the building blocks of childhood, take the time to view Fida Quishta’s film, “Where Should the Birds Fly”. Listen and watch Mona (10) as she recounts how her home in Gaza was razed to the ground and her family slaughtered. The child was not articulating any political ideology. The film shows farmers trying to farm and the Israeli’s shoot at them. The film shows fishermen trying to fish and an Israeli gun boat attacks their boat. The film shows jets firing phosphorous shells and the injuries sustained by one young boy. In all of the events there were independent observers present. Their pleas to the Israeli military to cease the aggression fell on deaf ears. What is happening in Gaza continues to be barbaric. Many Israeli’s have expressed their deep disgust about the events in Gaza. John Taylor has articulated his concerns about the slaughter in Gaza from a humanitarian perspective. There are many voices crying out for this bloodshed to stop. It is time to give innocent children the building blocks of childhood.

19. michael c July 28, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

William,SF do not support other causes? At this very moment Conor Murphy is in Columbia supporting the Trade unions and other opposition forces in an attempt to force that Government to initiate a realistic peace process.Also do the ANC, Basque separatists and Cuban ambassador just attend the SF ard fheis for the craic!

20. paul July 28, 2014 at 6:44 pm #

From what I’ve been told barcodes beginning with 729 are Israeli products. Hit them where it hurts

21. giordanobruno July 28, 2014 at 6:55 pm #

Whether a boycott will do any good or not I don’t know.
    I do think it should be up to the individual trader to make that call.
    This letter smacks of undue pressure.Why does he want a list of goods traders are providing?
    Is it to be published?
    A letter in the paper would have been a better idea..

22. Norma Wilson July 28, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

PK
    I think I have made my feelings very clear, I will not be part of this circus that is going on in this little shitty part if the world.

What about all the wee children gassed in the camps in Germany. Like you said not a word about the Syrian children? No they are anti- semetic. Well I stand with the Israelis all the way.

Hamas only has to stop hiding behind its children, and women, but they don’t.
    Just imagine, the Twadell people built tunnels down to Ardoyne, and the next morning killed the whole lot, massacre every last one, I wonder if attitudes would be different.
    This has caused great problems, it has brought out a hate I never knew I had.
    Hate is an emotion, and really I have no human feelings for any of these people. I am talking about SF here, I don’t want nothing to do with them, they disgust me, and make my skin crawl.
    I have let my friends in Israel know the feelings here, and have requested they buy nothing from this little shitty hole.

I stand with Israel always
    !

23. Norma Wilson July 28, 2014 at 7:13 pm #

Try CNN 20.10 right now that’s ten past eight on sky channel 506

• Paddy everton July 28, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

Norma might I suggest you try John Snow’s interview, you can get it on You Tube. While you’re at it look up Norman Finkelstein’s reply to the old line about the Holocaust and how we should sympathise with the Israeli’s because of it. The Israeli actions against the Palestinians have much more in common with The Nazis than democracy and you should know that the real persecutors of the Jewish faith have been Christians who all, according to themselves, had God on their side.

By the way I reside in Newry and Mourne and am delighted that a councillor is acting on the feelings of the vast majority of the citizens who are not in the least anti-Semitic but recognise genocide for what it is.

• Norma Wilson July 28, 2014 at 9:13 pm #

I have told Snow how disgusted I was with his biased reporting. I just do not get you’s. You will soon be wearing the mark of the beast.
        Watch the news, and listen, duh!!!

• Gerard July 28, 2014 at 11:05 pm #

Norma, I’ve just had a class idea…….leave this shitty little place!! Go on………on yer way. Let the rest of us get on with improving things here for everyone. That means putting right all the wrongs that have been heaped upon the people of this part off Ireland for hundreds of years. It’s a tough, tough job, but we’re getting there, little by little, wouldn’t you agree? Can’t you feel it, see it in every day life? And whole we’re at it, why not point out all the similar wrongs that are being heaped upon the people’s of other nations by aggressive blood thirsty regimes.

• William Fay July 29, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

That would suit you well Gerard, wouldn’t it, for Norma to leave along with all the other unionists, then you could start on the other minorities.

• pointis July 29, 2014 at 11:21 pm #

I think you will find it is not Republicans who have a record of acting shamefully towards minorities! You know which stable that comes from!

24. Sean July 28, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

While I do consider myself “sympathetic” to the Palestinian cause, the facts are not as black and white as we’d all like to think. Personally I think we all have enough differences to argue over than what is happening in Gaza.

25. JimmyRiddle July 28, 2014 at 8:37 pm #

The persecuted have become the persecutors.
    You’d think given what some Jews experienced in the past they’d have abit more humanity and compassion in them.

26. JimmyRiddle July 28, 2014 at 9:09 pm #

I honestly believe Netanyahu is a psychopath and is capable of even more unspeakable acts of terror.

27. Am Ghobsmacht July 29, 2014 at 12:57 am #

Noel does have a point though, if it bears the mark of the council then it could easily lead people to think that the council are behind it wholeheartedly.

Would he not be better using SF letterheads instead?

Or print his own?

Or a Palestine flag?

• giordanobruno July 29, 2014 at 8:00 am #

AG
      Yes doing it in this way just seems divisive. Are we to believe he didn’t realise he was using Council notepaper?
      It would surely be more effective if he had tried to build a consensus in the council.
      This just looks like more gesture politics from SF.
      Let’s hope no local ‘activists’ take it as a cue to lob a few tins of paint, or worse,in the direction of some small greengrocer with a bag of Wilsons potatoes on his display

28. michael c July 29, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

Sean ,would you be a “stoop” by any chance?

• Argenta July 29, 2014 at 4:51 pm #

Michael C
      Is that a crime in your eyes?Are you by any chance a “Shinner”?!!

• Pointis July 29, 2014 at 7:47 pm #

Argenta, I don’t think you should be reading negatively into michael c’s comment. I took from it that he was just asking if Sean was an SDLP member/supporter because he had adopted a “sitting on the fence” position towards the Gaza crises.

29. michael c July 29, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

No it’s not a crime to be a stoop, but Sean’s “one side’s as bad as the other” line is very similar to the average stoop’s line on most issues.And yes I am a “shinner”!God save us is’nt that “shockin” all together.

30. Pointis July 30, 2014 at 10:08 am #

It is quite clear now that the objective of Hamas by firing their highly ineffective rockets was to provoke the very predictable over reaction of Israel which would inevitably wipe out the lives of innocent Palestinians like they were cockroaches or a parasite below the value of human empathy.

It is sad that it takes more than 1000 innocent lives to prick the worlds’ conscience for the blink of an eye to the unjust and degrading conditions that these people who are Gods creations are being subjected. Their lives are as precious as that of a Jew or Christian or of any faith or non!

• Norma wilson July 31, 2014 at 9:00 am #

Pointus
      Would your conscious have been pricked, if it had been 100 Jews. And in responce to Gerard, you just try shifting me from my land? 40 years of bombs, and bullets did not do it, so like they say on the streets BRING IT ON.
      I don’t sit on fences, I am not a follower with a sheeps mentality, you can see the similarities here, along side the Palestians.
      I have my own views, my own thoughts, I am a free liberated person.
      Norma

• Pointis July 31, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

Norma, Norma, Norma,

You let yourself get so so angry when discussing this issue that you begin to lose the thread!

I don’t think you will find anyone on this site who would condone the needless deaths of Jews, Muslims, Christians or any faith or none!

Challenging the unethical Israeli policy towards the Palestians is not a threat to Jews, indeed a great number of Jews around the world have joined the chorus of civilised voices calling out for a halt to the slaughter of the innocents by the IDF and for Israel to begin to treat the Palestinian people with dignity and respect.

I challenge you Norma to find a contribution critical of ‘Jews’ as I would quite rightly expect Jude would not entertain anti-semitism on his site. There are two types of people who interpret criticism of the Israeli actions in Gaza as anti-Semitic, the ignorant and the vexatious.

31. Wolfe tone July 30, 2014 at 11:54 am #

As the terror in Gaza continues it struck me how the people on here who support Israel blindly are the same people who continuously and vehemently condemn the IRA activities of the past. And yet Israel is fast reaching the death toll that is attributed to all IRA actions, over 30plus years, in just a few weeks………..maybe the IRA should have taken a leaf out of Israel’s book?? I am confused. When the IRA targeted British soldiers based in hospital grounds or British barracks based next to primary schools, they were condemned as cowards etc etc and yet Israel targets their unseen enemy in hospitals,schoolyards and shelters, and they are held aloft as justified actions. Strange indeed.

32. Dickens July 30, 2014 at 6:47 pm #

Help stop the Israeli massacre of innocent civilians (IDF using illegal ordnance such as White Phosphorous Explosives & Flechette Shells in built up residential areas).

Please sign petition calling for Israeli Ambassador to be expelled from Ireland.

Here-https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/An_Taoiseach_Enda_Kenny_Expel_the_Israeli_Ambassador_to_Ireland/?aMzMyfb

Grma/Regards

D

• Norma wilson July 31, 2014 at 9:02 am #

NO I CERTAINLY WILL NOT?

• Pointis July 31, 2014 at 2:15 pm #

I think the public tide is beginning to turn against the continuing murders taking place in Gaza. I saw a priest on Facebook today saying he was fed up watching the continuing taking of lives by the actions of the Israeli state. Hurray up general public, speak out against this travesty!

33. pointis July 30, 2014 at 9:20 pm #

Will do!

34. Gearoid. July 31, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Norma, I’m now convinced you’re a fake, no one could be as bitter as you. I bet you’ve never been within 20 miles of a bomb or a bullet during the entire troubles. Away on!