Picture by Jon S
From time to time people tell me I’m a bigot, an apologist for ‘Sinn Féin/IRA’. That of course tells you more about them than me, including the fact that they don’t know what the word ‘apologist’ means. People with this mindset, on the other hand, display a hushed respect for the words that are printed in newspapers, particularly Irish newspapers north and south. So on this grey Monday morning, let’s have a look at what one Irish newspaper has been saying about republicans.
If you go to that excellent website nuzhound.com, you’ll find a list of links to newspapers and articles that deal with Irish political matters. So let me take the latest nuzhound list and focus on article linking to the Irish Independent/Sunday Independent.
- “SF/IRA must ‘surrender’ all weapons – McDowell” by Jody Corcoran
- “Peace strides welcome but PIRA legacy must be faced” by Frances Fitzgerald
- “Ahern – IRA link to Sinn Féin ‘didn’t come from out of the blue’ ” by Ronald Quinlan
- “Time to think carefully about who we want in government” by Ruth Dudley Edwards
- “Garda chief fails to clear up confusion left by letter” by Eoghan Harris
- “Grave charges must be investigated, once raised” –Editorial.
- ” ‘Gerry Adams told us he was the leader of IRA and Sinn Féin’ ” – Paudie McGahon
- “IRA’s four tons of Semtex was sold to FARC narco-terrorist groups” by Jim Cusack
- “IRA diesel smugglers poison the land by torching toxic sludge” by Jim Cusack
- “Micheál Martin has won – Fianna Fail not Sinn Féin is true republican party” by Jody Corcoran
All of these articles, with the exception of Nos 6 and 7 – (which appeared on the 22 and 24 October respectively) appeared in yesterday’s Sunday Independent. In other words, yesterday’s Sindo carried at least eight articles attacking Sinn Féin.
Some call it groupthink, some call it transparent propaganda. Let us now close our eyes and offer a decade of the rosary for that mind-saving man, Tim Berners-Lee, who invented the world wide web.