Deputy Halligan and doing the right thing – by Donal Kennedy

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 09.46.08

Wolfe Tone declared that f the men of property wouldn’t lead a campaign for justice that the struggle should be led by “that large and respectable class – the men of no property.”

It seems that today an appeal has been made, if not to a class of men of no principle, at least to a class willing to set aside its principles in order to jump onto  a bandwagon, or even into a handcart.

In the Irish Times Dail Sketch (December 17) Miriam Lord, who normally appreciates irony, gives a sympathetic account of John Halligan’s appeal to fellow TDs  to “put aside our morals,our emotions and adopt an evidence-based approached to this debate” (on abortion).

Apparently, the emotionless Deputy, is saying – “To Hell with Morals – Do the Right Thing!”.

The sketch writer sees humour in the dark-suited men in the Dail looking down at their shoes. I’m relieved to learn that in December male legislators wear dark suits for their day jobs. What did she expect – pink Basques?

In another column the Oireachtas Report quotes at length a tear-jerking account by Deputy Halligan of a pregnant woman flying to London for an abortion and being taken by minibus with eight other women, “.”vomiting and weeping” to the abortion site. “Believe me it is not the procedure that does the psychological damage to them, all the indications are that it is the fact of having to make the journey on their own that does so.”

They are so lucky, they travel by air, not on the old mailboat or the old Liverpool boat. Their luggage isn’t opened by customs when they are bleary-eyed.

They don’t travel in crowded unheated trains from Holyhead to London. And they don’t have to endure the homesickness of generations of emigrants.

Apparently Mr Halligan’s complaint might be rendered in Latin – DE MINIBUS NON CURAT LEX.

6 Responses to Deputy Halligan and doing the right thing – by Donal Kennedy

1. Brian Patterson December 29, 2015 at 10:42 am #

Seems to me it’s the men (and women) of No Popery whom Donal dreads the most. And if we are quoting Latin, how about “Non Alios suo modulo metire” (Don’t judge others by your own yardstick)

2. Donal Kennedy December 29, 2015 at 1:52 pm #

Deputy Halligan reminds me of Little Nell Again, or her death as described by Dickens, which so moved Oscar Wilde to observe that you’d need a heart of stone not to laugh.

Brian Patterson probably thinks that Hippocrates was a Catholic, or as he’d put it a Papist,
    a Popehead or a Fenian. He cannot grasp an argument but wants to follow the crowd.

3. Brian Patterson December 29, 2015 at 4:17 pm #

My but you do make assumptions Donal. When I made a lighthearted remark about people ‘of no popery’ I referred to those who decline to unquestioningly accepted the dictats of the Vatican. I would suggest that includes most Catholics. I use only one of the terms that you ascribed to me, namely Fenian. For me it has no religious connotations, nor is it a term of abuse, since there is more than a touch of Fenianism in my family over several generations, something I would never be ashamed of. In fact I tend not to use terms of abuse (except against racists or sectarian bigots) or make unfounded assumptions about those who disagree with me. ‘Qui se sent morveux se mouche.’

• Jude Collins December 29, 2015 at 5:57 pm #

Brian and Donal – you’ll have to stop using these furrin words – the rest of us are fearful you’re saying things about us…

4. Donal Kennedy December 29, 2015 at 7:18 pm #

I haven’t invoked religion in commenting on “the right to die” or the “right” to abortion.

But it seems to me the 10 Commandments are a pretty good formula for domestic, community
    and global peace.

Even if human beings invented God, anyone who makes a God of himself or herself makes a Hell for everyone else.

5. Brian Patterson December 30, 2015 at 12:27 am #

John 8.7 (Yes, Devils can quote scripture!)