‘Poppies, Crime and Criminality’ by Jessica McGrann

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 15.27.19

Conflict brings out the worst in people and is a terrible time for all involved.  Post conflict, it is usually the victors’ point of view that is accepted, their actions forgiven and they who do the most to vilify their old opponents, often hiding the truth of their own actions during the conflict along the way.

In post-conflict Ireland, it is disappointing that much of the one-sided vilification has come from the southern Free State and has been for selfish party political interests.  The southern state parties, in particular Fine Gael know very well that British intelligence services have operated and killed in the republic and still operate agents involved in criminality today many years after the conflict supposedly ended.

Cover-up on the grounds of national security or routine destruction of evidence does not mean it didn’t happen, and has the dropping of Articles 2 and 3 absolved all responsibility on the Irish state for over 500,000 Irish citizens living north of the border?

Perhaps if those citizens were entitled to vote in southern elections and to have a say in who represents their own country, their opinions would be afforded a little more respect.

Instead, we are treated to a prolonged media-backed campaign to vilify republicans with particular emphasis on thwarting the growing popularity of Sinn Fein, in which human rights have been abused through the unjustifiable use of special criminal courts, the deplorable propagation of lies from clandestine and perfidious sources and what can only be described as an embittered campaign of mudslinging in the hope a sufficient amount sticks to see off the upcoming elections.

Add to this the usual barrage of Orange Order marches and the annual outburst of poppy fascism where Irish who prefer not to support the British forces actions past and present are also vilified. You could be forgiven for thinking that the crime passed on to northern Gael much like that of Original Sin, is that of being Irish.

Perhaps all we can do when faced with such intolerance, is remind them of the 2 million women raped by the Allies at the end of the ww2 conflict, an average of 60 to 70 times each with tens of thousands dying from the experience, others simply being shot by British soldiers after they had their fun.  *

Or more recent events such as the Iraq historic allegations teams who are charged with investigating the allegations of ill-treatment or unlawful killing by British forces in Iraq between 2003 and 2009.**

But not to worry, when you read the last lines of this update report, you can rest assured that their crimes will be protected as fervently as those committed in Ireland and the poppy fascism will flourish in the filth upon which it grows.

Of 1,235 alleged cases of ill-treatment, including accusations of rape and torture, only 45 are under investigation.

That initial target for completion of its investigations was 2016 but this will not be met. And, although the unit is funded until 2019, its work may not be finished by then.

** http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-soldiers-could-face-prosecution-for-crimes-committed-during-iraq-conflict-investigators-a6793271.html

19 Responses to ‘Poppies, Crime and Criminality’ by Jessica McGrann

1. Am Ghobsmacht January 2, 2016 at 7:26 pm #

Jessica

I know I said I was trying to refrain from such discussions but this one has caught my attention.

Now, first of all, I abhor this poppy fascism that you speak of;
    it is narrow minded, full of false piety, it has robbed one community (if not more if one takes the parallels to Britain and involves the ever-increasing alienation of the Muslim populations there) of a deserving group of potential heroes and furthermore it is a façade as we all know that if every nationalist in NI wore a poppy and commemorated the fallen then the goal posts would move and there’d be something else to bleat about (or a repetition of actions by thon TUV gulpin Morrison).

That being said, the pedant in me feels the need to highlight this paragraph of yours:

First of all, very few people who wear the poppy do so to remember the Red Army.
    Although ostensibly part of the Allies they were nonetheless enemy #2 and proceeded then to be enemy #1 for almost half a century (and if you believe the hype General Patton’s enthusiasm for rearming the SS and immediately invading the USSR cost him his head, literally).

The Red Army, as you know was responsible for the vast majority of the raping but you have worded the paragraph in a fashion that makes the other allies sound equally implicit with the addition of Gunner Sugden standing in the background with a Bren gun to dispose of the evidence, which, as a percentage of WWII was negligibly the case.

This makes the argument very ‘Partisan’ in a manner of speaking (an ironic term given the subject matter).

You have to remember or even acknowledge that many if not most poppy wearers abhor this poppy fascism and we have to rub shoulders with these d**kheads too.

Wearing a poppy is not an automatic thumbs-up for whatever gruesome campaign the British may launched against whatever ethnic group (for there were many!), there is a more mellow and respectful side to the poppy that thankfully the younger generations can see e.g. Connor McGregor, an unlikely source of poppy advocacy but that shows how far we have come.

Even the Boers, a people I would associate a great deal with Northern Irish Protestants (in terms of their stubbornness, tribal mindset etc) could at least acknowledge/tolerate Cecil Rhodes as a part of their history and left his statue standing at the university in Cape Town (now gone, but not because of the Boers) despite the suffering that he unleashed upon those people (the concentration camp being one such by-product, courtesy of an Irish general).

The rest of your post for the greater part I can see where you are coming from but I fear you have hobbled the sentiments of the post with that one paragraph.

As much as I may disagree with a lot of your points nonetheless I admire your passion and encourage you to keep at it.

• jessica January 3, 2016 at 1:35 am #

Am Ghobsmacht

I accept the majority of rape after the second world war was the red army, but when you consider British involvement was in 100,000 rapes in Berlin alone and there is documented evidence of at least 3 murders where the British soldiers shot and killed the women afterwards, coupled with the senior British Army chaplain claiming that there was a ‘good deal of rape going on’ and that “those who suffer [rape] have probably deserved it.’ Hardly rush to their defence material and it is a hell of a scale to quibble over who was the worst offender.

The elephant in the room in this case is not the poppy per se, but what lies behind it.

Very few people who wear the poppy think about anything and do so to go with the flow, others for fear of not fitting in, for national pride and for some to support their armed forces.

In recent times we have heard the political pundits on television in reference to the evidence and state inquiry documents protected under the guise of national security making statements such as, this will never be released, it would simply be too damaging, or the names that would be revealed would be too shocking for us to deal with.

If the British state choose to cover up the crimes of its armed forces, security services and elected representatives, then the truth must be compelled in other ways.

The Goddard inquiry into abuse in England and Wales uncovered child abuse in England where children had been trafficked from the Kincora Boys home, a trail they overlooked leading back to MI5 that ha been covered up with the approval of Margaret Thatcher as it involved members of her cabinet, former Home Secretary Leon Brittan, former parliamentary secretary Sir Peter Morrison and the former diplomat Sir Peter Hayman.

Theresa Villiers has since excluded the Kincora case from the Goddard inquiry to protect the actions of the security forces and those it protected, Amnesty International’s Patrick Corrigan said: “The (HIA) inquiry headed by Sir Anthony Hart simply does not have the power to compel the production of documents such as these or indeed witnesses from central government to come forward and lay bare what happened at Kincora.

This is only the tip of the iceberg in state cover up in ireland.

This cover up is not an historic act, it is happening now. Is this seriously the type of state you want to live under?

The same cover up is going on in regards to British soldiers activities in Iraq.

“Also, it’s not ‘republicans’ that are being vilified but ‘some republicans’, SF & the IRA do not represent the entire republican movement, only a portion of it.”

I am sorry Am Ghobsmacht, but it is simply not acceptable and is just one more reason that british rule here must be ended.

• Am Ghobsmacht January 3, 2016 at 8:28 pm #

Nope.

I’m villifiying those you deserve to vilified.

I was in a loyalist band and spend other years mooching around the loyalist band scene (as a mere hanger-on).

To vilify the people who make the lives of the working class loyalists (and others) difficult is NOT the same as vilifying the loyalist working class and I would ask that you acknowledge this and retract your insinuation that I was doing any such thing.

“If that is the type of society you want to encourage, I want no part of it.”

I don’t understand the statement, in what context are you putting this in?

“Those loyalists and republicans have suffered the most in a conflict few were around at the start off.”

Which loyalists? The loyalists I speak of? As in the ones that run protection rackets, ensure that their areas become sink-estates? The ones that discourage education amongst their youth? The ones that encourage bigotry within the loyalist band scene?

“You also grossly underestimate the mental trauma resulting from years of conflict, that can at times not rear its head until after the conflict is over, or the scant level of support that has been provided in a post conflict society.”

No I do not and I challenge you to highlight any sentence of mine that clearly states that I do i.e. not one that can be deliberately mistranslated.

“Given opportunity and support, they still have a lot to offer and many loyalists understand the problems society faces here better than most of their well paid political leaders who still find a stench to be around republicans.”

Yes ‘MANY LOYALISTS’. I didn’t take a swipe at ALL loyalists (as can be clearly gleaned by anyone reading my post rationally) I took a swipe at the worst of them.

“I would rather see a £10 billion reparations fund for the damage inflicted here as a result of British misrule directed solely to the loyalist and republican communities most impoverished, to be used for training as well as constriction projects, building and restoring affordable housing, and giving them a future with employment to look forward to?”

Irrelevant but admirable.

“Perhaps restoring buildings in Belfast to their past historic glory.”

Fine by me.

“Division didn’t work in our past, what makes you think it will fare any better in our future?”

• Am Ghobsmacht January 4, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

“I’m vilifying those that deserve to be vilified” not “I’m vilifying those you deserve to vilified”, that didn’t make any sense at all.

Nuts.

• jessica January 4, 2016 at 5:20 pm #

I think we tend to complicate things for one another AG.

Do you think it is even worth talking about the benefits of unification or do we just fight it all the way and struggle on until there is a 50%+1 in favour.

• jessica January 4, 2016 at 5:05 pm #

Please highlight where I stated or nearly stated or perhaps even at a stretch-when-drunk-and-armed-with-artistic-licence hinted that this is what I think and if you can’t please retract that insinuation.”

If you are saying you want the partition of Ireland removed, then I will gladly retract it and admit I have misinterpreted your opinions. I was assuming you were a pro british unionist who wants the division of my country and the northern Ireland statelet continued.

• Am Ghobsmacht January 8, 2016 at 2:03 pm #

Jessica

I am de facto unionist that is true.

I am more of an Ulster nationalist truth be told (yes, 9 counties) and a united Northern Ireland is more important to me than a United Kingdom or a united Ireland.

I have certainly given thought to the pros of united Ireland and commented on it greatly over on slugger o’Toole.

But just because I am for the time being pro-union doesn’t mean that I support all the ugly aspects of political unionism, there are many unionists who don’t and it’s neither helpful not healthy to lump us all together like that. In fact, I’m pretty sure the lumping together and generalising of minorities is something that Irish people in general profess to be against?

• jessica January 8, 2016 at 7:34 pm #

Unionist is not a people Am Ghobsmacht, it is a preference and I am comfortable it is your choice.

If you are truly an Ulster nationalist (9 counties), then you would realise the majority of Ulster is the most Irish part of this island, its people the most passionately Irish, and while centuries ago, the provincial and even clan divisions might have been preferable, in the modern world, the coming together of all four provinces for the betterment of all of the people on this very small island is a very reasonable aspiration to have.

The desire to end British rule here is inextinguishable and has been for many centuries. Ireland will be reunited, that is an absolute certainty. How we go about it is up to the people of Ulster to decide.

• jessica January 8, 2016 at 8:49 pm #

Regarding the mass rape, If you do genuinely want to read more on the true documented activities of the British, French and Americans involvement in mass rape and sexual slavery post ww2, I recommend the following:

Dr. Austin J. App
            “Ravishing the Women of Conquered Europe”

Sorry if it has upset you AG, I didn’t make it up though and only referenced documented British involvement that is in their own military records. There is much worse which is not verified, but it would break your heart to read.

• Am Ghobsmacht January 3, 2016 at 8:48 pm #

“…I accept the majority of rape after the second world war was the red army, but when you consider British involvement was in 100,000 rapes in Berlin alone …’

” and there is documented evidence of at least 3 murders where the British soldiers shot and killed the women afterwards, coupled with the senior British Army chaplain claiming that there was a ‘good deal of rape going on’ and that “those who suffer [rape] have probably deserved it.’ Hardly rush to their defence material and it is a hell of a scale to quibble over who was the worst offender.”

Yes, I read your links which is why I brought the topic up:

“Very few people who wear the poppy think about anything and do so to go with the flow…” could you please qualify that assertion?

“others for fear of not fitting in, for national pride and for some to support their armed forces.”.

I’d agree with this to varying degrees.

As for the rest of the rebuttal it’s covering ground that I didn’t raise or mention .

“Can you please clarify, are you saying you feel it acceptable that SF & the IRA are being vilified but support the cover up of the activities of the British state which were not against SF & the IRA but against innocent men, women and children?”

Nope.

As Cat in Red Dwarf said “if you’re going to eat Tuna, expect bones”; I’d see justice for all, hold them ALL to account.

• jessica January 4, 2016 at 4:33 pm #

“Sorry, I don’t understand this sentence, are you saying that the British were implicit in all, some or most of these horrid episodes?”

I doubt the women who survived were able to ask the nationality of their multiple abusers, we will never know from the 10,000 who died during the rape.

If you want more explicit details, I am afraid you will have to research it for yourself.

“I say again, your paragraph – “Perhaps all we can do when faced with such intolerance, is remind them of the 2 million women raped by the Allies at the end of the ww2 conflict, an average of 60 to 70 times each with tens of thousands dying from the experience, others simply being shot by British soldiers after they had their fun. *” gives the impression that there were millions of rapes with the British standing in the background as a rule ready to pick off the survivors and ignores the fact that these actions are NOT what people are remembering at cenotaphs across the globe during the respective remembrance services.”

Of course they aren’t AG, that would be sick, but they like you, are probably also more concerned with the perception of their precious british reputation than the 2 million women who were brutally raped. Just like you are more concerned about the british reputation than giving the truth about what british involvement in terrorism in Ireland.

“It’s not the fault of the Haig Fund, the British Legion or the vast majority of poppy wearers that there are such cover ups and I for one do not support them and would gladly see heads roll for whatever ghoulish crimes.
          However, this topic is not connected to the one that I brought up i.e. the impression given by your topic that the British Army was shooting the survivors of Soviet mass rape(such was the wording of the statement in question). ”

No the British army were involved directly in 100,000 rapes and I only references the shootings by british troops. I am sure there were many more but it is too sick to look into in any more detail.

“I’d see justice for all, hold them ALL to account.”

If you believed that, then you could not truly support the continued partition of this island.

That does not compute as Kryten in Red Dwarf might say.

• Am Ghobsmacht January 8, 2016 at 10:45 pm #

“So when provided with evidence of 100,000 brutal rapes resulting in 10,000 deaths in Berlin that there is documented evidence that british troops were involved in, that were defended by their army chaplain who claimed that the women probably deserved it, and at least 3 cases have been documented in army files where the british soldiers shot and killed the women afterwards, you are more interested in a breakdown?”

Sort of:

Is it 3, 10 000, 100 000 or 2 000 000?

As horrendous as each crime is that’s quite a steep increment.

3 is not 2 000 000. If it was then we wouldn’t bother with numbers.

I say to you that your paragraph that I referenced gives the impression that British soldiers picked off the remaining victims of 2 000 000 rapes.

You say this is a sick notion but do nothing to dispell this impression and furthermore you use this reference to prop up another inaccuracy in another post.

How does propping up an inaccuracy with an inaccuracy support your points? Surely it negates them?

“are probably also more concerned with the perception of their precious british reputation than the 2 million women who were brutally raped.”

1/ That is a groundless assumption and I challenge you to substantiate it
            2/ You specifically referenced the number 100 000 when referring to British soldiers, now the number is 2 000 000, which is it please?

““I’d see justice for all, hold them ALL to account.”

That does not compute as Kryten in Red Dwarf might say.”

That’s a subjective conclusion at the very least.

Also, Kryten never said “does not compute” as he was always borderline sentient (one of the reoccurring philosophical themes of the show and ergo he would be UNLIKELY to say it), the robot that you’re thinking of was most likely the one from ‘Lost in Space’.

Either that or as you do with unionists, you’re simplifying sci-fi androids…

• jessica January 9, 2016 at 12:13 pm #

“Is it 3, 10 000, 100 000 or 2 000 000?”

3 is the number of rape incidents which I directly referred to as being documented on British records, there could be much more.
            America has over 10,000 records but as I said, over 100,000 rapes were carried out in berlin alone by British, French and Americans.

This book will show rape and sexual slavery by British, French and American forces that have been deliberately ignored, Americans being second worst to the Russians who were worse than animals.

• Am Ghobsmacht January 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm #

“Perhaps you should consider your own response as your empathy clearly lies more to the British reputation than to the men and women who suffered.”

My own response is centred around the importance of not insulting the intelligence of the reader by throwing half-truths and muddily worded sentences around the place.

You make too many assumptions Jessica.

• jessica January 20, 2016 at 6:18 pm #

“throwing half-truths and muddily worded sentences around the place.”

What half truths do you refer to AG?

• jessica January 3, 2016 at 2:28 am #

“Do you think we like going to a cenotaph and seeing a wreath from “3rd Roid Rage Batt. Ulster D**head Association” or “2nd Gluesniffer Brigade, Unemployed Volunteer Force” clogging up the place amongst the genuine wreaths left by amputees or men who are mentally shattered and who struggle with everyday life?”

I sense there is an element of lets vilify ex republican and loyalist communities so the rest of us can move on here.

You do realise that those “Ulster D**head Association” and “Unemployed Volunteer Force” supporters were once actively encouraged by all of the mainstream unionist parties and having taken the brunt of the jail time and suffering the most poverty wise, now find themselves to be sacrificial pawns to be disregarded by their elitist unionist peers.

If that is the type of society you want to encourage, I want no part of it.

Perhaps restoring buildings in Belfast to their past historic glory.

2. billy January 2, 2016 at 11:00 pm #

special courts are being used every day up here against republicans and not a word about it.

3. Freddy Mallins January 3, 2016 at 12:06 am #

Am Gob, to compare the Boers with Ulster Protestants as if that were a favourable comparison is a bit scary, but perhaps we have always known the intrinsic similarities. It’s common knowledge that RUC officers ( retired or otherwise) transferred seamlessly to the South African police. You refer to it as stubbornness and tribal mindset. You make it sound honourable. And they tolerated Rhodes you say. Was this the same Rhodes who perpetuated the myth that black people were inferior in every way to their White colonists and that the British were devinely chosen to invade, subjugate and corrupt the peoples of the Afican continent? Just checking.

• Am Ghobsmacht January 3, 2016 at 8:07 pm #

Wasn’t meant to make it soud honourable, more matter of fact.

And yes, THAT Rhodes.

He’s famous for what he did to the black people of Africa and people aren’t so bothered about what he did to the Boers.

My point remains that in THEIR eyes he wronged them (which he did) and regardless what he or the Boers did to the black Africans takes away from this. Yet still the Boers kept his statue up in Cape Town.