SOMETIMES IT’S HARD TO BE A WOMAN

sometimes-its-hard-to-be-a-woman

“Sometimes it’s hard to be a woman
Giving all your love to just one man
You’ll have bad times, and he’ll have good times
Doin’ things that you don’t understand”

By Tammy Wynette

So Arlene Foster , our esteemed First minister , is a victim then. She’s one of the million of us who had to live through the past forty years of nonsense, so I suppose she is a victim..Oh we feel her pain. We really do. There she was on television being interviewed by Sky News crying about how hard it was to be a woman.Well, we’ve heard that one a million times already .Hasn’t she ever heard of Women’s Liberation? She ‘s one of those few women who actually crashed through that glass-ceiling and gained the toppermost job at the poppermost position in local society and now she’s still not satisfied. She’s not fulfilled . She wants to be loved too.Well , it doesn’t work like that.To get to the toppermost of the poppermost , you have to either be led by the hand by a worthy mentor or you have to be as tough as old boots and it doesn’t really matter what sex you might be. So what’s it going to be, Arlene ? Are you as tough as an old boot or have you been led by the hand?
“They’re all getting at me because I’m a woman!”, she cried.I suppose they gave Peter Robinson hell because he was a woman too ! !It was nothing to do with his wife’s dubious behaviour or that NAMA and Red Sky business at all, apparently .It was all because he was a transgender lady who had dressed up as a man and sneaked into the DUP. He was always experimenting with his “look”. Remember the comb-over hairstyle he used to sport and that lovely red beret he wore to bring out the colour of his eyes and his feminine side. I hadn’t realised that Peter was also a victim until just now.Then again, it never occured to me that Raymond Burr who used to play “Perry Mason” and the wheelchair -bound “Ironsides” was gay , either…..and then there was Rock Hudson….you just never realise , do you?Aw sure …aren’t we all victims , living here in this crazy land where logic took a holiday long ago and forgot to come back.
Arlene cried that she’s always been a victim.Oh , she used to pretend she was a strong woman but that was all a sham. She admitted just before Christmas that she’d alweays been bullied by menfolk as she climbed the greasy pole of politics. She said that one of her good friends in the DUP bullied her and everybody else for years , but like a good feminist she never mentioned it to anyone. She kept it all inside until it festered. Somewhere it was bound to explode. Back in the bad old days during the war, long, long ago ,her school bus was attacked by bad men and her daddy was killed too. Her’s is a sad story alright .It’s a story like a thousand other stories in Norneverland , Ireland.It makes you wonder why she joined a party led by the man who started the war in the first place. She’s a bit of an odd one, alright.Anyone else might have run a mile to get away from people like that; not a tough cookie like Arlene. Maybe she thought she could change him. You know what women are like.They meet a nice fellow and the first thing they begin to do is re-style the poor fellow into something else.
Then again, who can figure out the female heart? I have a wife and three daughters and I still wouldn’t know where to start with that one .
She should try being a man for a day or two, I say.

60 Responses to SOMETIMES IT’S HARD TO BE A WOMAN

1. Jude Collins January 5, 2017 at 2:07 pm #

For the record – I understand that Arlene’s father was wounded but not killed by the IRA.

• paddykool January 5, 2017 at 2:12 pm #

Aw …it’s only a fairy story , Jude.Nobody’s going to take this seriously, anyway. It could never happen like that in real life……could it ?

2. jessica January 5, 2017 at 2:29 pm #

I thought she had tried at being a man but it stuck.

Too many testosterone sandwiches washed down with red white and blue bull, (gives you balls)

• paddykool January 5, 2017 at 2:47 pm #

Oh dearie me Jessica…Is that misogny peeking out ?….or is it misandry? It’s easy to become confused in these days of sexual -equality and the many orientations….

3. giordanobruno January 5, 2017 at 3:34 pm #

paddy
    I understand you are angry about the whole business but what you have posted seems quite nasty to me.
    Arlene is indeed a victim,and not just in the sense that we are all victims of the troubles.
    She watched her father crawling into the house with blood pouring from his head when she eight
    Your flippant remarks about that incident are unworthy of you and serve only to make her point about the type of stuff written online about her
    As for jessica’s charming contribution,that is only to be expected, but it ought to be removed.

• jessica January 5, 2017 at 3:48 pm #

We are all victims of partition in a divided land, the troubles were only a symptom not the cause.

Refusing to do the decent thing and step aside for an investigation into her actions which ran up a bill of 500 million of which many of her buddies will benefit, so much that the DUP refuse to declare them. That is holding all of the people here to ransom in a desperate bid to get people power behind her to avoid a criminal investigation and potentially a custodial sentence.

She deserves no sympathy whatsoever.

Like another famous lady once said, a crime is a crime is a crime.

• giordanobruno January 5, 2017 at 6:24 pm #

Jessica
        None of that is in any way relevant to your ugly comment about her, though it is perfectly in keeping with your usual standard of personal attack.

• paddykool January 5, 2017 at 4:13 pm #

You are missing the point gio.It’s not that she and we are all victims .It is the cold and callous way she used that sense of victimhood , live on television yesterday , to basically use it as a distraction -technique to feather her own dirty little political “mistake” . I have no love for this particular politician and as far as I am concerned anyone whose bills I am paying is fair political game.That goes with the job and if she wants to use that victimhood card as transparently as she used the sexual harrassment card or the misogny card , then she can expect no sympathy from anyone . Dammit man ! This is a walking ,talking political animal we are dealing with ….not some little schoolgirl.

The more I see of her transparent antics, the more I realise that she could never represent me , ever. I find her an arrogant idiot , unworthy to be First Minister at all and latterly with no understanding of what that job actually entails ,in tandem with her Deputy . If she was a politician anywhere else, the cartoonists would tightly have her fenestrated and crucified.I can only imagine what Peter Brookes or Steve Bell would have done with her in print…and in the national press . She’d be long gone by now, so don’t preach to me ,gio.

• giordanobruno January 5, 2017 at 6:22 pm #

paddy
        Would you talk about say the Ballymurphy families in such a way, or would you mock the family of Pat Finucane saying their daddy was shot by bad men?
        I very much doubt it paddy.
        It is irrelevant whether she is an arrogant idiot or not (and she is) your remarks are pure personal attack.
        If you think she is using her victim status as a deflection then you are perfectly entitled to say so, but I see no reason to mock the actual grim events she endured.
        So I am sorry you think I am preaching, when all I am doing is giving my opinion on the comments you chose to put up.

• paddykool January 5, 2017 at 6:55 pm #

4. Dr Michael Hfuhruhurr January 5, 2017 at 4:57 pm #

The very fact that she’s not standing aside and the DUP are backing her up, even in the face of blatant obvious incompetence and likely corruption tells a damming story.

They cannot let her step aside or allow an investigation, they have all been at it and caught with both hands in the till, deceit and corruption and rampant sectarianism is a cornerstone of the DUP party.

How much longer can the republican / nationalist community hold their noses when dealing with these chancers?

We are entering a very dangerous window. If an election is called and Arlene is returned as FM. It shows that the unionist electorate are willing to turn a blind eye to massive corruption in order to keep “themuns” out (purely sectarian). This in turn means that the 6 counties will be in a stalemate as that part of the community is more concerned with sectarian bigotry than promoting equality and thus can NEVER countenance equality. Thus the Executive can never work EVER.

Equality is clearly not part of the unionist psyche. I thought Gerry Adams was talking to his ducks too much with “Equality will break the basterds”…….. How true he was. If only he could give me next weeks lotto numbers!

The only workable solution is joint sovereignty, add to that impending BREXIT problems and torturous demographic changes and we are looking at a “soft exit” from the UK. I wonder if the NI project will go the same way as Hong Kong but with a shorter timescale? Would republicans agree to a 20 year exit window?

We all now this farce of a statelet wont exist in 20 years but stretching it out in an agreement for exit in 2037 may cause unionism to grow up and face reality. An agreed exit from UK on those terms would take the wind out of the sails of both republicans and unionists. Imagine we could have 20 years of actual government with no silly us and themuns nonsense!

• Jack Black January 6, 2017 at 11:02 am #

Dr. Michael, you are certainly on the money with your sobering and realistic contribution to this discussion.

5. michael c January 5, 2017 at 7:05 pm #

Was Arlenes father a member of the so called “security forces” ie a paid gunman of the state?

• giordanobruno January 5, 2017 at 7:15 pm #

What is the problem with people on this site?
      She was eight years old michael and she witnessed her father crawling on the floor bleeding from a head wound. Did eight year old Arlene do something to deserve that?
      Is that good material for mocking do you think?
      Which other victims will we mock? Who decides?

• jessica January 5, 2017 at 7:24 pm #

Whereas you have no such qualms using a victim of child abuse to take a pop at Gerry Adams, you hypocrite

• giordanobruno January 5, 2017 at 7:45 pm #

Jessica
          The blog referred to Adams as a family man. It is perfectly legitimate to take issue with that description.
          You on the other hand simply went straight for unadorned personal abuse and for what purpose?

• Argenta January 6, 2017 at 11:39 am #

Gio
        I think a lot of the Sinn Fein supporting posters on this site know that they can get away with almost any personal attack/insult without any intervention from Jude.It’s much easier sneering at Arlene and making light of the I R A attack on her father than examining the apparent flip flopping of Sinn Fein on this issue.Do they want a judicial inquiry or merely an investigation ?There seems to be mixed messages coming out from S F ministers about what the party really wants.Is there tic-tacking going on behind the scenes with the D U P?

• giordanobruno January 6, 2017 at 1:09 pm #

Argenta
          Cheers. Unsurprisingly I agree.
          I don’t have any issue with criticising her for using her history and her being a woman as deflection- I agree with that criticism.
          I just think it can be done without actually mocking the traumatic events she went through which were real and horrible.
          So when paddy says ‘I suppose she is a victim’ that seems grudging and unnecessary to me and when he mockingly talks about her ‘daddy being killed’ I wonder what purpose that serves.
          jessica’s nasty comment is even more clearly ‘unadorned personal abuse’ to use Jude’s terms, and michael c seems to think eight year old Arlene should just have understood her father got what he deserved.
          None of it adds anything to the debate, so I don’t see the point.
          But maybe I am too much of a sensitive flower for this harsh world!

• paddykool January 6, 2017 at 1:42 pm #

Gio .This is not about supporting Sinn Fein or the DUP. it is about the behaviour of adult politicians using sentimentality as deflection.I find that distasteful and puerile in the extreme. nobody is denying the trauma of death .We have all experienced that in our lives. It is how it is being used that debases it.

• jessica January 6, 2017 at 1:47 pm #

Harry, Argento and Gio are one and the same person.
            He has his own agenda here.

• paddykool January 6, 2017 at 1:47 pm #

Ps ..Newton Emerson has written an interesting piece here…http://www.irishnews.com/opinion/columnists/2017/01/05/news/newton-emerson-arlene-has-managed-to-squander-a-golden-opportunity-863637/

• paddykool January 6, 2017 at 2:38 pm #

• paddykool January 6, 2017 at 2:38 pm #

PS Gio. The piece does not “mock victims” …it simply states in plain prose that victims in Norneverland are “two-a-penny”. there are literally thousands of them …i know plenty of them….and they shouldn’t be used to score points by any politician, especially when the politicians have their own neat little pecking orders of victimhood.”My victim is more of a victim than your victim”…. and so on…

• giordanobruno January 6, 2017 at 2:44 pm #

Jessica
            Argento? At least spell my name…I mean our name…I mean his name…right.
            Phew! Nearly slipped up there but I think we…I mean I…got away with it.

• Dominic Hendron January 6, 2017 at 2:23 pm #

Too many “haters”

• paddykool January 6, 2017 at 2:21 pm #

Arlene Foster’s father was actually a man called John Kelly, who unlike the character in the fictional story written about the fabled land of Norneverland , was not actually killed by anyone.The”real” Mr Kelly , as opposed to the fictional one , was a policeman and as part of the old Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) was considered an enemy and a target by an armed republican group of some sort.They attempted to murder the man as part of their assault on the British presence in 1979 , but were unsuccessful. He lived for another 32 years after the incident.Arlene Foster claims she saw this happening, although as an eight-year old all those years ago , she may have not fully understood the complete reasons. She appaerntly knows exactly why it happened specifically in historical terms during that conflict, and even who the attempted murderer was .Apparently that man is dead now too.

• giordanobruno January 6, 2017 at 3:22 pm #

‘So John Finucane is a victim then. He’s one of the million of us who had to live through the past forty years of nonsense, so I suppose he is a victim..Oh we feel his pain. We really do. His father was murdered, he claims he saw this happen’
        How does that come across to you?
        I cannot imagine you ever writing anything so crass, and I cannot imaging Jude allowing it.

• jessica January 6, 2017 at 3:36 pm #

You are sad individual gio

• paddykool January 6, 2017 at 3:46 pm #

You are obviously very bitter about this gio but you’ll have to get used to it . These politicians have done nothing for victims in this past decade and more.They can’t even agree on what a victim is …which is about standard behaviour which makes me wonder again what Arlene thinks she’s playing at by using victimhood as a political tool. Yes , I believe we have all been damaged living with the outworkings of this political farce thes forty years…Forty years !!! More like fifty plus in my case.So you can call me a cynic and a satirist and I’ll wear that like a badge of pride. The damage is there in all our lives. Crass? Hah !….you’d need to open those eyes a little wider , gio.The crassness is only starting.Watch those crass politicians wriggle in the fire of their own making.

• giordanobruno January 6, 2017 at 4:50 pm #

paddy
            I am not bitter but we are at cross purposes.
            You keep referring to what Arlene is up to now whereas I am referring to the way you talk about her past and her father, which I find frankly crass.
            Possibly you know that and are dodging a little.
            So is my example with John Finucane acceptable then?

• paddykool January 6, 2017 at 6:04 pm #

Watch the Sky interview again and tell me if you think it was the time or the place to drag up such victimhood when there was no context to do so .Anyone could bring up such a past event completely out of context but it would be a meaningless thing to do …as it was in this instance.What point was she trying to make with this in relation to an ongoing financial scandal which she had responsibility for? It was the same point she made when she attacked her former colleagues and accused them of misogny and of sexual harrassment. There is no context whatsoever for her remarks and it is only happening now when she is trapped in a corner with her back to the wall that it has become an issue.In other words , it was only there to garner sympathy and as a distraction. no one else mentioned it. She brought it up and introduced it into a television conversation about a scandal as a political ploy.

• Wolfe tone January 6, 2017 at 4:01 pm #

I see Gio, you are protesting again. Alas like always, it’s what you don’t protest about that’s is most revealing.

6. Dr Michael Hfuhruhurr January 5, 2017 at 7:27 pm #

“I have broken the law officer”…… That’s ok, just mention something traumatic that happened to you when you were a child!

Can someone please tell me why on earth she even discussed or mentioned the IRA? Last time I checked they dissapeared in the 90s…… long before RHI was even thought of and incident ly long before she became joint fm!

Pathetic to the core!

7. Dr Michael Hfuhruhurr January 5, 2017 at 7:47 pm #

Can someone please tell me why on earth she even discussed or mentioned the IRA? Last time I checked they dissapeared in the 90s…… long before RHI was even thought of and incidently long before she became joint fm!

Pathetic to the core!

8. michael c January 5, 2017 at 7:50 pm #

As someone who never wants to see another shot fired on this Island,I think that if Arlene wants to play the victim card,the public has a right to know the facts.The facts are that her father was not killed and in all probability was in a position to defend himself.

9. Dominic Hendron January 5, 2017 at 8:33 pm #

I always thought Arlene Foster was arrogant but I was surprised to hear her use the gender card, I actually thought it was beneath her. Who can she be appealing to with that accusation? It certainly can’t be anyone in her own party or women within NI because she doesn’t fit the bill. I can only assume since she was speaking to sky news she had an international audience in mind with a view to her profile as FIRST MINISTER.

10. paddykool January 6, 2017 at 6:06 pm #

This scandal is not and never has been about “Arlene’s Past” or the sainted “Cult of Arlene”.This is about a financial scandal with her fingerprints all over it . Everything else uttered is a distraction to deflect from that, so let’s not get taken in by this very obvious trick of sentimentality .This is not the place for it and it demeans it. .So far it has been referred to as several Red Herrings being introduced or even more succinctly as throwing several Dead Cats onto the table and into the argument.
    Alongside many , many others , I see her clumsy use of the victim card as a dead cat thrown onto the table to distract from her criminality or her foolishness and believe me ,gio and anyone else , I’d do the very same if it was Martin McGuinness spewing such puerile claptrap.The truth is that he never has.

• giordanobruno January 6, 2017 at 6:21 pm #

Ok paddy I see you are avoiding my point completely so I will leave it there.
      Get back to me if you get around to looking at the Finucane comparison.
      Good luck with the new venture as a satirist!

• paddykool January 6, 2017 at 6:28 pm #

It’s always been about the satire ,gio…

• Argenta January 6, 2017 at 11:22 pm #

Gio
        If the sainted Jessica describes you/us(!)as a sad individual ,should we wear this as a badge of honour?!!As usual,many of the posters here are quite intolerant of any dissenting voices,though I would have expected better of Harry.

• paddykool January 6, 2017 at 11:59 pm #

I don’t know why that should be at all….Maybe poor judgement on your part , Aegenta?

• jessica January 7, 2017 at 7:40 am #

Gio/Argenta or whatever you prefer to be called.

The DUP under Arlene’s leadership has proven to be as bigoted if not more so than ever before.

Have you read the smug email sent to inform the 50K for sending children to the gaeltacht has been removed?
          It was Arlene who turned the last election into keep unionism number 1, hardly promoting equality.

It was Arlene who came out with the rogues and renegades description of nationalists in government, not to be trusted with the public purse.

Arlene is now considered every bit as much a bigot by mainstream nationalism as Nigel Dodds, Gregory Campbell and many others.

Her image of economic or even political competency is also down the tubes and she has become a liability for the DUP as leader.

Even if unionism chooses to support her, the nationalist community do not want her as first minister period and a majority of people overall want Arlene to step aside and allow an investigation to take place, not to force an election or even bring down the institutions as that could lead to political uncertainty which is risky.

If she refuses, then Stormont must be suspended until the preliminary investigation reports in 4 weeks.

There is already ample evidence in the public domain proving she is a dolt.

It was Arlene herself that wrote a letter to banks telling them basically, we know this is a ludicrously generous scheme that will drain heavily the public purse, but if you could please take my word for it that the high returns will be guaranteed out of the public purse by myself and to go ahead and lend these businesses (interesting to know whether any paramilitary linked businesses borrowing from these banks) the money they need to get themselves in on the action.

It was so clearly a disgustingly obvious gravy train to direct as much of the 660 million of london loot to select businesses, that went too far over budget that cost the stormont block grant. The public MUST know what businesses applied in the period the schemes closure was delayed and what links there were to the DUP economic backers or to paramilitaries. There is enough public money going to the UDA already.

There is enough evidence already to show her behaviour was an outrageous insult to all working people whos taxes will be abused in this way, it will damage public services for decades and has done more harm to the environment than anything I can imagine.

And now Arlene is turning to sectarian divisions in a post conflict society to basically save her idiotic arse and it is not only pathetic, it is dangerous, self centred, and only makes her even more unsuitable for the position of first minister, it has made it all the more imperative that she steps aside until confidence in her is restored (however unlikely that is with the evidence in the public domain already) which can only be from an independent investigation that has the confidence of the people.

This is not the DUP against Sinn Fein, this is political fascism versus doing the right thing and respecting the tax paying public.

And we wonder how people like Hitler got into power.

You can wear a ribbon for Arlene if you choose, but the frustration and anger towards her stance is only going to grow.

I doubt she could handle months of this pressure, no one but an imbecile could and the DUP are not fools.

They will back he to a point, then throw her under the bus.

• giordanobruno January 7, 2017 at 9:30 am #

jessica
            None of that has anything to do with paddy mocking her experience as a child.
            But no-one wants to talk about that.

• jessica January 7, 2017 at 9:40 am #

Because he wasn’t mocking her experience as a child, he was criticising it being used to excuse her behaviour which most people would agree with.

There is evidence in the public domain already proving incompetence and in my opinion criminal negligence, she is trying to avoid a criminal investigation at all costs and does not care what damage is inflicted as a result .

The very reason she brought up the victimhood, whether it be misogyny or conflict related is so anti sinn feiners and weak minded unionists such as yourself jump on the bandwagon and help stoke up her smokescreen.

Well done.

• paddykool January 7, 2017 at 10:06 am #

Well …exactly, Jessica….and totally without distraction.It’s not about Arlene .It’s all about incopetence or larceny.

• giordanobruno January 7, 2017 at 10:34 am #

jessica
            And yet when I repeated what paddy said only replacing Arlene with John Finucane you called me a sad individual (more personal abuse but I expect no less).
            Why?

• jessica January 7, 2017 at 11:51 am #

John Finucane did not use his suffering from his fathers murder to excuse irresponsible governance that will cost tax payers hundreds of millions of pounds or to deflect from his won arrogance or even ineptitude at his job. Nor would he use it to escape and avoid a criminal investigation into his political activities where unhealthy profits have been directed to many of his associates.

The fact you would bring him into the defence of Arlene is a very sad reflection on you indeed.

• billy January 7, 2017 at 10:42 am #

your attitude to the inquiry has softened considerably overnight i see.

• jessica January 7, 2017 at 11:28 am #

It hasn’t changed billy.
            If you want more detail of my thinking

Arlene MUST NOT be in the role of first minister while it is undertaken, either by stepping aside or suspending Stormont.

It MUST have power to compel witnesses and to obtain any documents or data needed.

It MUST look at all of the applications within the period the closure was deliberately delayed by the DUP

It MUST look at all businesses who received loans from banks that Arlene personally wrote to guarantee the ridiculous profit margins for a scheme that the banks would have suspected would not last as it was so obviously flawed.

It MUST come to some conclusion as to whether these letters written by Arlene were under orders from perhaps Peter Robinson which she alluded to, were a result of her own failure to understand the risks and consequences such guarantees would have or whether as I believe this was a deliberate scheme to get money to select businesses at London’s expense that went out of control over the word spreading that a dodgy deal was up for grabs within the DUPs business supporters.

It MUST be undertaken by a suitable figure with no links to any political party here that has the confidence of the people.

I do not support a public inquiry which would take between 5 to 10 years and would let people off criminality.

I want to know whether criminality took place within weeks or months and if so, a PSNI led investigation resulting in custodial sentences where necessary.

If Arlene does not step aside, then Stormont cannot come up again under any leadership until an investigation which satisfied public demand has been undertaken. any new elections must not take place before this happens.

If that means direct rule then so be it.

These would be the bottom line

• giordanobruno January 7, 2017 at 12:05 pm #

jessica
            Like paddy you are completely missing/avoiding my point.
            If you want to address what paddy actually said about her father’s attempted murder then feel free to do so.
            Maybe go back and read it again first.

11. paddykool January 6, 2017 at 6:30 pm #

You are still missing the point gio.It isn’t relevant, is the real point.It simply doesn’t matter whether or not the victim’s horror story is about Arlene or John Finucane..If you want to I could easily cite many other stories just like those two…with lots of fear , blood and savagery .The point is that as First Minister , that story should never be any kind of consideration. It should certainly not be aired out of context as some justification for losing her focus with our finances .You don’t take on that job unless you are capable mentally, intellectually and emotionally of doing it properly and without favour. You certainly do not start blaming everyone else for your mistakes or mishaps if you want to call yourself any kind of leader.

• paddykool January 7, 2017 at 12:29 pm #

What your argument …or your point …amounts to gio is that you introduced a version of “whataboutery” into a “poor me” skit by making a comparison which had no relevance to the question at hand.You literally missed the point that was being made and continued to miss it at every opportunity , even actually adding to the whole idea of Arlene’s own series of banal obfuscations. You never noticed the irony of the story which was in part a fantasy ….ie Peter Robinson as a transvestite in red beret …Arlene’s father’s early demise some thirty -odd years before the actual event …and crucially Arlene joining a party founded by Ian Paisley , known far and wide as the actual bigoted firestarter of the Troubles themselves. I don’t know about you gio , but I actually remember all those events as they happened and I know the reasons why they happened. Arlene’s father and her story is no different from several thousand other similar stories, such as my neighbour’s , whose father was gunned down on the street near non-starter when it is not own home. Using something like that for political gain is a non-starter and is hardly unique in our riven society.It is the stuff of our past…not our present …and hopefully not our future.

• giordanobruno January 7, 2017 at 12:41 pm #

paddy
        You are intelligent enough to understand the difference between criticising her for using her past as deflection (the point I agree on)and mocking the nature of what happened to her as an eight year old.
        I am not introducing whataboutery I am trying to show you how offensive your description actually is and you are continuing to avoid even addressing it.
        You ‘suppose’she is a victim. Why suppose?
        She ‘claims’to have witnessed her daddy being shot by ‘bad men’ Do you doubt it?
        ‘We feel her pain’ Clearly you don’t
        Would you ever use those words about other victims paddy?
        Trying to pass it off as a skit or satire does not excuse it.

• jessica January 7, 2017 at 12:56 pm #

You are proving why I believe Sinn Fein have got this absolutely spot on.

Harry is experiencing first hand how easily words are manipulated by those with their own agendas. It is imperative that Sinn Fein are seen to be whiter than white and deal with all issues promptly, that they do nothing to prevent good governance and do not engage in sectarian politics preferred by the DUP.

12. paddykool January 7, 2017 at 12:38 pm #

That should read ….”whose father was gunned down on the street near my own home some thirtyplus odd years ago, too”….damned sticky keypad!.

13. paddykool January 7, 2017 at 2:40 pm #

But gio …you actually did introduce a whataboutery which was was of no relevance to the discussion…certainly in modern times.i would not have done that

If you have any idea of the day to day existence of everyone …and not just the now prominent individuals who had grown through the Troubles , you might have also accepted the attempted murder of Arlene’s father as part of the “normality” of that everyday life in those times..I have no idea of your personal experiences , of course but you seem to have no sense of the inevitability and commonplace ordinariness of life and death in those daily times , in your comments.

That was the way it was back then , with incidences just like that were happening somewhere to everyone ‘s extended friends and family right across the board .Arlene Foster’s experience was not a unique experience in any respect. If I take it as the normal run of things back then , that is because it was. The fact that friends and neighbours were killed…murdered injured or why I had to abandon my own home in the middle of the night because the business next door was being blown -up by midnight bombers …or whether friends of mine on both sides of the divide were killed or whether an extended family member was murdered by psychopaths and dumped like so much garbage….that was simply our ordinary life for many years. There was nothing extraordinary about any of it.

There was a conflict and that conflict was begun on the streets by Ian Paisley and his bigotry. Arlene Foster’s father was an RUC man and that police force was seen (for many well-documented reasons) as an enemy force by many nationalists and republicans, especially. To join such a grouping on either side of the divide , was to put yourself in the firing -line with all the associated risks to yourself and your family . Being shot was one of those risks. An old neighbour of mine who joined the RUC was forced to leave his home overnight and upsticks because of a received threat. That was the way life was. It is why policemen tend to live in small isolated communities to this day. It is not extraordinary and it is not unique and Arlene Foster’s story is simply the same story that many have experiebced across the communities.

Her father was wounded in a skirmish when some men were out to make a killing and he died some thirty years after the event. Parents will eventually die in one way or the other and it is awful but it is part of what life contains. you might say it is the thing every child fears. .My father died at a right old age in his 90s of dementia , finally . I’d say his death was a hard death for myself and my family but it was not unexpected ,either.It’s what happens in life. I often said it would hav ebeen easier had he died suddenly ,in his prime but it is the weft and weave of everyone’s life .It’s nothing new .

• giordanobruno January 7, 2017 at 2:57 pm #

paddy
      So your daddy died and you claim it was hard on you.
      Oh we feel your pain, we really do!
      Now that’s good satire.

• paddykool January 7, 2017 at 3:36 pm #

Yeah gio …that’s just the way life and death works. It’s not so unusual .It happens to every one of us in some way or another and it shouldn’t be used as political capital…See what I mean?

• giordanobruno January 7, 2017 at 5:57 pm #

paddy
          I understood your point from the beginning.
          I think the way you chose to make it was nasty and unnecessary.
          But you clearly don’t.
          Maybe we should just leave it there,and others can decide.

• paddykool January 7, 2017 at 6:11 pm #

There’s not a nasty bone in my body gio and I think that others will make whatever decision suits their current worldview , in any case.You should take out a subscription to “Private Eye”…